Monday, February 17, 2014

THE GENOME OF CLOVIS SKELETON -- CLOVIS BOY -- HAS NOW BEEN SEQUENCED RESULTING IN NEW INFORMATION ABOUT MODERN NATIVE AMERICANS, AS WELL AS WITH ANCIENT EUROPEANS, ASIANS AND GREENLANDERS

The remains of a one-year-old Ice Age boy who died 12,600 years ago were discovered near a rock cliff in central Montana in 1968, along with a multitude of distinctive burial artifacts, such as spear points and antler tools. The skeleton and burial artifacts were covered with powdered red ochre, a type of mineral.

An international team of researchers have now sequenced the genome of the "Clovis boy" and compared it with genetic information of modern Native Americans across the Americas, as well as with that of ancient Europeans, Asians and Greenlanders. Their results show that approximately 80 percent of today's Native Americans are direct descendants of the boy's contemporaries - particularly the indigenous people who today live in Mexico and South America. The remaining 20 percent are found among some of Canada's First Nations, who - while not direct descendents - are still more closely related to Clovis than any genetic group from any other continent.

The Clovis boy also shares about a third of his genome with another ancient youth, a 24,000-year-old Siberian child known as the Mal'ta boy, whose remains were also recently analyzed. "The genetic findings mesh well with the archaeological evidence to confirm the Asian homeland of the First Americans... and is consistent with occupation of the Americas a few thousand years before Clovis," said Dr Michael Waters, Director of the Center for the Study of First Americans at Texas A&M University, and lead archaeologist on the team.

The similarities and differences among these native groups suggest a genetic "split" took place within the boy's lineage thousands of years before his time. From one branch came the ancestors of some Canadian First Nations, while the other branch led to the Clovis boy and his family, and their descendants who make up the majority of Native Americans today.


Source: Western Digs, Bio News Texas (12 February 2014)
http://tinyurl.com/mpdg53o
[1 image]
http://tinyurl.com/nmwnsjp
[1 image, 1 movie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home